Thursday, October 11, 2012

Daughter's Hair: A Natural Hair Journey

Hey All!

A lot of you are familiar with my daughter, MadiMel who has very coarse hair and the length of her hair is almost down to her waist for her current height. 



For those of you who did not or do not know, I started my daughter, MadiMel's natural hair journey at the end of 2007.  This was when my sister in law told me about Fotki, a photo sharing site, where so many women documented their hair journies and share information.  I became fascinated and fell in love with the idea of taking care of our own hairs since I was on my own healthy hair journey.  It also meant that I would be saving so much money in the process!  Prior to MadiMel's proper hair care routine, I did so many things to her hair that probably would have made her scalp length right now.  We are talking about the use of Vaseline, tight rubberbands, hard brushed, bands with metal prongs, etc.  But I was left with was dryness and and damaged edges and ends. I was using Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo to wash her hair.
 
MadiMel was born with a full head of curls and over time they started becoming dry as her true texture starting coming through.  At first and prior the major hair care change, I was using Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo.  I changed her shampoo while looking at some of the natural sisters regimens on Fotki.  Added natural oils to her routine and moisturizers.  I started to incorporate healthier techniques....after a while, I noticed that her hair started flourished.   I rarely used the rubber bands, I learned a technique to comb her hair, I learned to cornrow and most importantly...I learned more about patience. I always say that if you have patience, you waste less time than if you rushed.
 
I felt that it was also important to start her healthy hair journey too since I was on my own.  As she grows and matures, she will in turn learn techniques until she cares for her hair completely on her own.  But for now, my stance is to let her see what I do with her hair so she can be armed with knowledge.  
 
I will have future posts about her hair journey, techniques and styles!  Stay tuned for more of MadiMel beside myself of course!

Watch our video I posted today!

 
 
 

22 comments:

  1. She is a beauty and her smile made me smile. You do a great job styling and taking care of her hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks hun! And I am doing what I can to also teach her and hope she takes the reigns when she is ready. Thanks so much for watching the video :-)

      Delete
  2. Your daughter is so cute! She has lovely hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the wonderful compliment hun :-)

      Delete
  3. She looks more and more like you each time you update and she sat so patiently as you talked about her hair!!! Its sooooo pretty, makes you wanna transition huh? Well it makes ME wanna transition! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! And she is growing up toooo fast! She was also being shy, if she met you in person...she would run her mouth, talking you to death. And yes as for me, I would either stay relaxed or do a big chop after a 4 month transition...lol! I could definitely wee you rocking a fly afro puff :-)

      Delete
  4. You are doing a great job on her hair. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most ladies transition with the purpose that they want their kids to love their own natural hair. Some also claim their kids have problems with their natural hair since they also want straight hair. Have you had to make the decision to transition for the sake of your daughter or have you had a form of education for her.I'd love to know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! I know of a lot of mothers who have transitioned for the sake of their daughters and many who have not transitioned who have daughters with natural hair. Until now, I have never come across the issue with my daughter being disturbed or feeling negatively about her natural hair. In fact, she finds my hair to be boring because I have it straight ALL THE TIME and all I do are curls, ponytails, french braids and buns. She feels that her hair is more versatile than mine because we can do the same things I do with mine on hers, but a lot more in it's natural looking state as far as puffs, cornrows, twists and twist outs. She does know that my hair is chemically straightened because we discussed it before. And she does understand that people make certain choices for themselves and it doesn't affect her. She will be the first to tell anyone that everyone is different and they can wear their hair however they want to. I think part of it has to do the with how versatile I am with her hair and she loves it...this is just a guess. She asked about everyone's hair one time when she was in Pre Kindergarten...her question was, why did everyone in her class have different colored hair. I thought it was interesting because she didn't ask about people having straight or curly hair. Since she was young, my husband and I worked to build her confidence (which every parent should do) that she likes herself for who she is; she is beautiful, she is unique, smart and should always be motivated in life. We have always encouraged her to love and be herself. I will not say that she will never ask me these questions or will not ask for her hair to be chemically processed in the future which may come or not. As many children that are out there asking their relaxed haired moms to have straight hair, there are also young girls who don't bother to ask at all and like their hair the way it is. Whatever decision a mother makes to make their daughters comfortable with themselves in any aspect in life is important. But if my daughter is comfortable, then I am too and it will be adjusted accordingly when things do arise. For now, I do not plan on transitioning and will continue our healthy hair journies together the way it is. I hope this helped answer your question and thank you so much for asking :-))!

      Delete
  6. She is so precious and her hair is lovely and so long (I love how her puff just got bigger and bigger over time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tonkabelle! Pictures do say a lot and I was pretty pleased with how much it has grown.

      Delete
  7. What products do you use in your daughters hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for now responding to you Latoya, I over looked your message. Her regimen is posted undwr the tab "Children's Natural Hair Regimen". I apologize for the delay in responding.

      Delete
  8. Hello I'm new to yoyr site..and my 5 year old has the sane thing. Her hair is short,thick,FRIZZY,tangled,,,and 4c 4 d hair..I want it to grow...Idk what to do..I need help..I'm dnt know how to so my hair and her hair is another story..help...my hair is gone..since moving from Mississippi to Wisconsin the weather took all my hair...my little girls name is Keliese...she wants Lonf hair and so do I I need advice,,help,,prayer. Patience,,,,all of the above...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian..my name is brandy and you can email me at brandyharris2005@yahoo com..or fb brandy alive Harris. Thanks

      Delete
  9. What is the purpose of a website? Your company is making money and you are in profit still if you are launching your website then it means that you want your website to bring in some extra profit. If you want this to happen then then make sure that your website is capable enough to achieve this.Casual Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please let me know if you're looking for a article author for your site. You have some really good posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested. Thank you! netflix member login

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a blogger, I am sure that you would like your blog to make some serious noise online. You want people to talk about it and you want your visitors to recommend it to their friends and family members.Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this hairstyle too! So simple and elegant. Knee length hair is amazing. I absolutely love these hairstyles! For more black hair ideas See this here.

    ReplyDelete